OT: Studio Ghibli DVDs

Von: Paul D.Smith (paul_d_smith@hotmail.com) [Profil]
Datum: 08.06.2010 09:38
Newsgroup: uk.tech.digital-tv
If you haven't got children, you can probably stop reading now unless you're
a DVD nerd ;-).

I have a cheapie DVD player (20 quid from Asda) but it has always played
everything thrown at it, with one exception.  Studio Ghibli DVDs (Porco
Rosso, Ponyo, Kikki's Delivery Service etc) all have two problems.

1. The "camera angle" symbol always comes up and I simply cannot get rid of
it

2. There are clear "transition pauses" not just half way through
(dual-layer) but between major scenes.

Has anyone on this NG seen similar problems and been able to find out why?
I was wondering whether decrypting the DVD and remastering a copy without
the second angle or similar might help.  It's not something I've ever done
so was hoping someone might have tried something similar before I launch
into a steep learning curve.

Aside: I have used "TStoDVD" if memory serves, to cut a test Humax download
onto DVD so I have the tools, I've just not learnt how to usethem beyond the
push-button option!

Thanks,
Paul DS