get iplayer dropped - BBC acting like Pay-TV network

Von: davidrobinson@postmaster.co.uk (davidrobinson@postmaster.co.uk) [Profil]
Datum: 10.03.2010 16:35
Newsgroup: alt.radio.digital uk.tech.broadcast uk.tech.digital-tv
See...
http://linuxcentre.net/get_iplayer-dropped-in-response-to-bbcs-lack-of-supp
ort-for-open-source

which follows on from...
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/16/20100308/ttc-bbc-blocks-iplayer-mobile-applicat
io-6315470.html

...and...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/24/iplayer_xbmc_adobe_swf_verification
/

So it seems “open” “FTA” “in the clear” “public service” co
ntent will
only keep working if you use proprietary software.

Welcome to the 21st century - where the BBC behaves like a US Pay-TV
network.

If you're thinking "that's OK - it's only iPlayer - it doesn't effect
broadcast", remember...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2010/01/freeview_hd_content_manageme
nt.html

...and if that doesn't scare you, remember that the German (previously
FTA) commercial channels decided to join a system where everything can
be locked behind a proper CA system - rather than the "pretend" DRM
that the BBC has played around with so far.

We're in a bizarre situation in the UK where it's only OfCom who are
keeping broadcasts "open", against a BBC who want to make them as
proprietary as regulations will allow. Now remind me - where will
OfCom be in a few months time?

Cheers,
David.