Puffing Up or Building Up

Von: Hiscoming (inner@talktalk.net) [Profil]
Datum: 23.12.2009 18:18
Newsgroup: uk.singles
Puffing Up or Building Up

"Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have
knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he
ought to know.
But if any man love God, the same is known of him."1 Corinthians 8:1-3

Food offered to idols presented major problems for first-century Christians.
Early Church leaders decided that one of the firm rules for Gentiles was
that they "abstain from the things polluted by idols" (Acts 15:29). They all
knew it was important to live lives that were pleasing to God and good
testimonies to others. Paul then moved on to a deeper issue: attitudes about
"knowledge."

Some Christians assumed they were special because of what they knew. But
Paul stressed that everyone has some kind of knowledge. This means that all
of us can be prone to trusting in ourselves and our own special knowledge.
The danger is that this knowledge can make us proud and arrogant, because
this knowledge "puffs up."

This attitude can be crippling to Christians! But there is an antidote:
love! While knowledge can cause us to be proud, love "builds up." The Greek
word refers to a person who builds a house. In short, those motivated by
knowledge can destroy and tear down, but those motivated by love are
constructive.

By our knowledge, we can destroy "the brother for whom Christ died" (v. 11).
Thus, thinking we are completely right, we can be completely wrong, and can
even "sin against Christ" (v. 12). Paul warned that if we have "all
knowledge" but "have not love," we are "nothing" (1 Corinthians
13:2).
Knowledge without love is meaningless, merely a collection of information.
Today, ask God to fill your life with love. Be careful about communicating
what you "know." Seek to be motivated by love: Build up others!

Pray
Father, I humble myself before You. Fill me with Your love toward others.
Help me to be Your instrument in bringing the Gospel to the world. In Jesus'
name. Amen.