Reputation

Von: Hiscoming (inner@talktalk.net) [Profil]
Datum: 23.12.2009 15:25
Newsgroup: uk.singles
Reputation

"And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he
that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works,
that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead." Revelation 3:1

The Christians in Sardis seemed to be concerned with their "name." The Greek
word here can also be translated "reputation." The Christian Standard Bible
translates this phrase, "You have a reputation."
While these people from Sardis were focused on what others thought of them,
Jesus said He knew the reality of their situation--not just the perception,
but what they actually had done. He knew how they occupied their time, what
they said, what they thought, and their hobbies and habits. The implication
was that their deeds were inconsistent with their reputation. In fact, their
deeds were not "completed in the sight of My God" (v. 2).

They might have been able to fool others, but they could not fool God. Jesus
issued a warning: "Wake up, and strengthen the things that remain, which
were about to die." If they did not wake up, He warned them, "I will come
like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come to you" (vs.
2-3). They would be called to account for their lives. Then they would
realize that, in the sight of God, their reputation was meaningless.

Jesus told them to "remember what you have received and heard; and keep it,
and repent" (v. 3). They needed to apply what they had heard, base their
lives on God's Word, and repent of their sins. Instead of being so concerned
about their reputation, they needed to focus on the reality of their lives,
the condition of their hearts, and what God thought about them.

Today, make sure that you have the right priorities. Seek to obey God and
live according to His Word. Remember that He is looking at your life and
heart, at what you say and do. Beyond merely having a good reputation, He
wants to give you a new life.

Pray
Father, search my heart. Cleanse me of sin and pride. Help me to please You
instead of worrying about people's opinions. I commit my time, talent, and
treasure to You. In Jesus' name. Amen.