The secret plans to turn us all vegetarian

Von: Old Codger (oldcodger@anyoldwhere.net) [Profil]
Datum: 04.06.2008 15:13
Newsgroup: sci.agriculture.poultry uk.rec.fishing.coarse uk.business.agriculture uk.rec.gardeningscot.birds uk.rec.birdwatching uk.environment.conservationtalk.politics.animals alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
The secret plans to turn us all vegetarian

The government hopes to encourage the public to give up beef to help
slow climate change
Secret plans to encourage the nation to give up eating meat are being
examined by the Government.

A leaked e-mail expresses sympathy for the environmental benefits of a
mass switch to a vegan diet - a strict form of vegetarianism which
bans milk, dairy products and fish.

The change would need to be done "gently" because of a "risk of
alienating the public", according to the document.

The extreme policy is being examined on the basis it could make a
major contribution to slowing climate change.

Farm animals are blamed for producing huge amounts of the greenhouse
gases methane and carbon dioxide.

However, the National Farmers' Union has ridiculed the idea as
"simplistic".

The e-mail, sent to a vegetarian campaign group, comes from an
official at the Environment Agency, a Government advisory body.

It states: "The potential benefit of a vegan diet in terms of climate
impact could be very significant."

However, it does recognise that it would be very difficult to win
public support for such a move.

Consequently, it says the Department for Environment, Food and Rural
Affairs is looking to encourage a gradual change that would be more
palatable to the general public.

The e-mail states: "It will be a case of introducing this gently as
there is a risk of alienating the public majority."

The official goes on to say it is "unlikely" that the Environment
Agency would ever suggest adopting a fully vegan lifestyle.

But the e-mail added: "Certainly encouraging people to examine their
consumption of animal protein could be a key message."

The proposals are the latest in a raft of measures being promoted as
helping to slow climate change.

Others include putting windmills on rooftops, driving electric cars
and banning plastic bags.

The e-mail was sent to the campaigning vegetarian organisation Viva,
which argues that it is more efficient to use land to grow crops for
humans, rather than feeding them to farm animals and dairy cows.

Viva director Juliet Gellatley said: "I think it is extraordinary that
a Government agency thinks becoming a vegetarian or vegan could have
such a positive impact for the environment yet it is not prepared to
stand up and argue the case.

"There is a growing awareness that our diet directly affects the world
around us - and that vegetarians and vegans contribute far less to the
destruction of the environment. For our planet's sake there is an
urgent need to move away from a meat and dairy-obsessed Western diet."

NFU communications chief Anthony Gibson rejected these claims as
"simplistic and flawed".

"This is not a black and white issue," he said.

"You have to look at how these crops are produced in terms of the
energy used for growing and transport."

Here's a sample of the latest views published. You can click view all
to read all views that readers have sent in.

I'm a 22 year old vegan. It took me 19 years to notice how
disrespectful my diet was to other animals (non-human), to human
animals and to the only world I will ever be able to call home.
I imagine the damage is already done and that if we all turned Vegan
tomorrow it would not be enough to save the animals (all of us) that
live on this planet. We will soon learn that our neglectful and vile
murderous acts for nothing more than our greed will actually be the
death of us all.
So sad we take most living creatures with us.

- James Turner, England

Humans carnivores - you must be joking, how many people chase down and
catch animals with their bare hands and eat them raw? None at all to
be exact. Bears and lions don't cook food, carnivores eat meat raw, we
don't.

[ Auf dieses Posting antworten ]