Fires In Accidents

Von: Stephen (newsmail04@ntlworld.com) [Profil]
Datum: 07.06.2010 13:41
Newsgroup: uk.railway
This may cause a bit of controversy, especially as the cause of the latest
accident in near to Oban can still be open to a bit of speculation before
its correctly investigated.

Many years ago, before the second world war, in accidents a fire often broke
out due to the rupturing of the gas tanks used for the lighting. The
combination of escaping coal gas and hot cinders and coal from the
locomotive, or indeed the gas lamp itself being lit, ignited the gas causing
the fires. This was resolved with the gradual abolition of gas lighting on
trains.

However with this recent accident and the one at Ladbroke Grove, caused
through the driver SPAD, it appears that diesel from ruptured tanks has
ignited possibly coming into contact with a hot engine or electrical spark.
On both of these the common denominator is a DMU with under floor engines
and fuel tanks. Whilst diesel is not anywhere as volatile as coal gas or
petrol, as requires a higher temperature to ignite, it nonetheless does pose
a greater danger than locomotive hauled stock.

I know that some of the first generation DMU's suffered from occasional
engine fires but did any of them have a fire caused by an accident with fuel
tanks rupturing?

Having said this though, as I'm not condemning the present DMU's as unsafe,
where else could the fuel tank be located? An interesting discussion point
perhaps?